|Position Title: Accounting Manager|
Job ID: 2498
Company/Firm/Coop Name: University of Baltimore
Type of Job: Full Time
Date Posted: April 30, 2012
Job Locations: Baltimore, MD
Office of the Comptroller, University of Baltimore
Vacancy Number: 300223
Regular exempt position with full benefits package
Documents must be received by: 5/14/2012
Annual Salary: $55,000 to $70,000
Reporting to the Associate Comptroller, the Accounting Manager is responsible for the accurate and timely management of the processing of payroll. Serves as the business owner and subject matter expert for the various PeopleSoft modules and other technologies utilized. Oversight for the reconciliation of the general ledger and direct supervision of accounting staff. The Accounting Manager will be a critical member of the organizational redevelopment within the unit and Administration and Finance division as the Institution evolves into a 21st century institution and a partner in Powering Maryland Forward, the USM’s 2020 strategic plan.
- Manage the payroll process - The incumbent will supervise the overall payroll function and make decisions or suggestions as to the best courses of action given systematic problems or road blocks. This includes direct processing of bi-weekly regular payroll, supervision of bi-weekly contractual payroll through the State Central Payroll Bureau, creating routine and ad-hoc payroll-related reports and supervising the existing staff responsible for payroll processing. Additionally, the incumbent must implement new or revised processes based on system enhancements and potential audit exposure.
- Business owner/non technical subject matter expert for technology - The incumbent strives to implement improved business processes for the various service areas within the Office of the Comptroller including; problem solving, and user training and development of operating policies and procedures. Responsible for the day to day operation of the PeopleSoft accounting system serving as a liaison to the user community for system accounting issues. Coordinate as necessary with systems functional and technical staff on all system related issues and improvements, projects and testing.
- Supervision of general ledger reconciliation & accounting staff – The incumbent will oversee the reconciliation of expenditure records between our institutional system, PeopleSoft finance and the State of Maryland’s system, R*STARS. Will also ensure transactions are properly flowing through the accounting systems, which includes data entry corrections into R*STARS, the reconciliation of cash, revenue, and accounts receivable records, clearing accounts, and the daily supervision of the accounting staff performing these duties.
- Perform research analysis and reporting on an ad-hoc and as needed basis. Assist the Associate Comptroller in the preparation of interim and annual financial statements, variance analysis of financial data and various schedules (such as capita l assets and transfers to Central Collection Unit) as requested by the staff of the Comptroller at the University System of Maryland.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, information technology or related business discipline
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in payroll or accounting, including at least one year
with direct supervisory/management experience. A CPA or MBA may compensate for two years of experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working in an ERP or comparable system with shared data
technology and/or integrated accounting and financial systems
- Proven self-starter who can work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Public accounting experience, experience in higher education, PeopleSoft experience or equivalent, CPA and MBA.
TO APPLY: Include your Vacancy Number 300223 on all documents. Electronic submission is strongly preferred. Submit a single PDF or Word file with your cover letter, resume, and any additional information you would like to have considered. Visit http://www.ubalt.edu/hr to review application instructions and then apply.
UB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Compliant Employer & Title IX Institution.